Are you curious to know what is dev diwali? You have come to the right place as I am going to tell you everything about dev diwali in a very simple explanation. Without further discussion let’s begin to know what is dev diwali?
India, known for its rich and diverse cultural tapestry, is home to a multitude of festivals that reflect the nation’s spiritual and social fabric. One such unique and enchanting festival is Dev Diwali, which holds a special place in the hearts of Hindus. In this blog, we will explore the significance, rituals, and celebration of Dev Diwali, also known as the “Festival of Lights of the Gods.”
What Is Dev Diwali?
Dev Diwali, observed on the full moon day (Purnima) in the Hindu month of Kartika (usually in November or December), is celebrated with great fervor and enthusiasm in the holy city of Varanasi, situated on the banks of the sacred river Ganges. It is believed that on this day, the gods descend to the mortal realm to bathe in the holy waters of the Ganges, and the city becomes a luminous spectacle of lights and devotion.
Significance Of Dev Diwali
- Awe-Inspiring Tradition: Dev Diwali is a grand and awe-inspiring tradition that celebrates the divine presence of gods and goddesses on Earth. The belief is that the gods come to Varanasi to take a dip in the Ganges and bless the city with their divine grace.
- Harmony of Spirituality and Tradition: The festival beautifully encapsulates the harmony between spirituality and tradition, blending ancient rituals with modern celebrations. It is a time for both religious fervor and cultural unity.
- Communal Harmony: Dev Diwali brings people from various walks of life and faiths together to witness the grandeur of the festival, fostering communal harmony and a sense of togetherness.
- The Ganga Aarti: The highlight of Dev Diwali is the grand Ganga Aarti, a ceremony of profound spiritual significance. Priests and devotees gather on the ghats (steps leading to the river) to offer prayers and light thousands of lamps, creating a mesmerizing sight.
Rituals And Celebrations
- Preparation: The preparation for Dev Diwali begins weeks in advance, with the cleaning and decoration of the ghats. Elaborate arrangements are made for the Ganga Aarti, including the placement of diyas (oil lamps), flowers, and incense.
- Ganga Aarti: On the evening of Dev Diwali, the entire city gathers along the banks of the Ganges to witness the spectacular Ganga Aarti. Priests chant hymns and perform rituals, accompanied by the melodious sounds of bells and conch shells.
- Lamp Lighting: Thousands of diyas are lit and placed on the steps of the ghats, creating a breathtaking display of lights that symbolize the victory of light over darkness.
- Processions: Processions with idols of gods and goddesses are carried out on the streets of Varanasi, accompanied by music, dance, and cultural performances.
- Fireworks: The night sky over Varanasi is illuminated with dazzling fireworks, adding to the festive atmosphere.
- Boat Rides: Devotees often take boat rides on the Ganges to witness the illuminated ghats and experience the magic of Dev Diwali from the water.
Dev Diwali is a celebration that transcends boundaries and brings people together in the spirit of divinity and light. The festival beautifully encapsulates the essence of Indian culture, spirituality, and tradition. Varanasi, the city of lights and devotion, comes alive during Dev Diwali, offering a glimpse into the vibrant tapestry of India’s spiritual heritage. It is a time to rejoice, reflect, and revel in the magnificence of the gods and the eternal beauty of the Ganges.
Why Is Dev Diwali Celebrated?
Dev Diwali is celebrated in honour of Lord Shiva, who gained victory over three demons, namely Vidyunmali, Tarakaksha, and Viryavana, together known as Tripurasura.
What Is The Difference Between Diwali And Dev Diwali?
Diwali is celebrated everywhere in India (I was in Delhi) by letting of fireworks and commercial – exchanging sweets & nuts. Dev Diwali is celebrated primarily in Varanassi on the full moon and is a very spiritual event. Thousands make the pilgrimage and the ghats are full of people praying to Mother Ganga.
What Happens On Dev Diwali?
During Dev Deepawali, houses are decorated with oil lamps and coloured designs on their front doors. Firecrackers are burnt at night, processions of decorated deities are taken out into the streets of Varanasi, and oil lamps are set afloat on the river.
Why Is It Called Dev Diwali?
The festival is known as Dev Deepawali because Gods marked Deepawali/Diwali on this day after Lord Shiva defeated the demon Tripurasura. On Dev Diwali, Hindus wake up early to take a bath in the holy water of the river Ganga, light diyas in the evening and pray to Lord Shiva.
I Have Covered All The Following Queries And Topics In The Above Article
What Is Dev Diwali
What Is Dev Diwali 2022
What Is Dev Diwali In Hindi
What Is The Date Of Dev Diwali
What Is The Significance Of Dev Diwali
What Is Difference Between Diwali And Dev Diwali?
What Is The Date Of Dev Diwali 2022
What Is Dev Diwali 2021
What Is Dev Diwali