“Web designing skills could help you stand out from the crowd. It’s a great place to dive and if you can drench yourself with the latest technologies, 98% of the work is already done for you.”- Ramesh told Anil, who wants to pursue his career as a web designer.
Back in 2012, Ramesh worked in a small web design and development company in Australia, where he learned the nitty-gritty of web design skills. It helped him to reach dizzying new heights.
Ramesh could have restricted himself within that comfort zone. However, Ramesh worked putting his nose to the grindstone by uncovering plenty of web design skills.
Fast-forward to 2022, Ramesh is now working at a leading MNC as a senior web designer. It’s not any hidden fortune that worked overnight. Instead, perseverance and the indomitable will worked like a magic wand.
Like the other job roles in technology, becoming a web designer needs the analytical and creative sides of your mind. The amalgamation of deep thinking and knack towards learning new technologies will help you to reap the benefits in near future.
The obvious questions are-
- What skills are required if you want to be a successful web designer?
- How long will it take?
- Do you need any soft skills that will help you to stand tall?
Let’s find the answers.
What skills do you need to hone to become a successful web designer?
To deliver visually appealing websites, web designers should have comprehensive skills. On that note, you need to understand the buyer’s persona to create the website design accordingly. Additionally, you need to have a solid understanding of what users are looking for. You need to build out the wireframes for sketching out the critical parts of a webpage. To do these tasks efficiently, you need to be proficient in web designing.
Technical skills you need for being a web designer
A web designer should have a basic knowledge of coding. He/she should be proficient in HTML to put content on a web page. Being a web designer, you must be able to put headlines, paragraphs, footers, and graphics on the website. In turn, knowing HTML would help you to complete your projects
CSS is a form of code that informs browsers how to format or style HTML for a web page. With CSS, the look of a website can be enhanced along with changing the fonts and backgrounds of a particular web page. Also, it helps you to implement creativity into the website that you are designing.
3. Visual design
It is obvious that you need design knowledge for being a successful web designer. To be precise, web design is the subset of visual design’s larger field. Mostly it focuses on digital products to determine how a website should look. It may range from web fonts to typography which plays a pivotal role while designing the website.
Let’s say you visit a website and you scroll the website for a couple of seconds. This experience is known as user experience. In a nutshell, UX design is more about designing your website from a user first and user-friendly perspective. According to Paul, who is seeking a web designer job in Kolkata- “Learning UX helps more avenues in web designing field and it will give you a fair advantage to stand out from the crowd.”
How UX would help in creating enticing website design?
From building wireframes to using prototyping, UX fundamentals are required for each phase. Additionally, it helps to sketch out the parts of a webpage. These things are essential to practicing user experience design.
Soft skills you must acquire for being a successful web designer
You already have the idea of the tech parts. Now it’s time to take the plunge to learn soft skills that will help you stand out in the crowd.
- Communication skills- For a designer, staying in touch with the other members is an important thing. Without effective communication, you can’t make noise. You need to keep the team up to date with your work progress which may include pitching the ideas, explaining creations to the content writers so that they can write the content accordingly. On the other hand, you may need to convey the message to the web development team and they will develop the website as per your ideas.
- Time management– To be a successful web designer, you need to schedule your work so that it can go further in a streamlined manner. If you decide to work in an organization, you may need to know productivity apps like JIRA or Trello. Conversely, if you want to move with freelancing, then you need to prioritize your schedule. In this busy world of web design, you need to be agile with time management. Therefore, it will help you to stay productive.
- Research skill– While working on a team, you must have a willingness to research things relatively. In turn, it will help you to provide new ideas to your team or to brainstorm the existing ones.
To set the ball rolling, you need to be patient and progress will be cumulative. We know you are working hard to make it possible and the points mentioned above will help you start out on a successful new career in web design.
If you are looking for web designer jobs we have a few recommendations for you:
- Velotio Technologies : They’re a product engineering company working with innovative startups and enterprises, specializing in B2B SaaS and Machine Learning space. They are looking for a UI/UX designer to expand their team. If you are interested, you can contact them.
- CodeClouds : A top-notch web design and development company that provides quality services and that too within a given timeline. Therefore, it helps to meet the movers and the shakers of the clients. Now, they are looking for potential web designers to help the channel grow. If you are looking for a web designer job in Kolkata, you can apply by visiting their job page.
- HashedIn : A cloud-native software development branch by Deloitte, they provide modern cloud delivery model solutions to many prominent enterprises worldwide. They’re also hiring UI/UX designer in Bangalore, which you can apply on LinkedIn.